Crunchy Shrimp with Toasted Couscous and Ginger-Orange Sauce
Grand Prize Winner/Category Winner--Entrées. "The sauce that accompanies the shrimp is one of my favorites. I've used it as a dipping sauce for vegetables, and to top grilled chicken and salmon." -Karen Tedesco, Webster Groves, MO
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 cup uncooked couscous
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 20 jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined (about 3/4 pound)
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups trimmed watercress
To prepare sauce, bring 1 cup orange juice to a boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat; cook until reduced to 1/4 cup (about 10 minutes). Remove from heat; cool completely. Stir in 1 tablespoon cilantro and next 7 ingredients (through red pepper); set aside.
To prepare couscous, place couscous in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; cook 3 minutes or until toasted, stirring constantly. Add 1 1/2 cups broth, 1/2 cup orange juice, and 1/2 teaspoon salt; bring to a boil. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork; add onions, almonds, and butter, stirring until butter melts. Keep warm.
To prepare shrimp, combine shrimp and egg white in a large bowl, tossing to coat. Combine the panko, 1 teaspoon cilantro, 1/2 teaspoon ginger, and black pepper in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add shrimp to the bag, and seal and shake to coat.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; arrange shrimp in a single layer in pan. Cook 2 minutes on each side or until done.
Place 3/4 cup couscous on each of 4 plates; top each with 1/2 cup watercress and 5 shrimp. Drizzle each with 1 1/2 tablespoons sauce.
Karen Tedesco, Webster Groves, Missouri, Cooking Light